I Will Never Forget You

Boys. They really suck sometimes.

You always were one to wax verbose
but your silences have always been the more potent.
In between your overflowing syntax
I have been crucified
and left to myself.

Hello, young man-
here are all the words I want to say
in a story of love and loss
and even a little bitterness between the stars that mark my passing.
I will never forget you,
and the extent of this you will never know unless someday we see each other again
and, as I still fully believe, understand. Understand
each other; making up for the time we lost
after every hello.

I could write a number of songs about you,
but it's already been done- why should I bother? The energy
I would exert toiling over your name
has been spent already. Do you remember me?
I will never forget you. Your commas fell like stardust in my hair
lighting my dreams and text messages with the translucent moonlight and shades of blue only we could imagine- I will not discredit
the beauty of us. Hello, young man
and here is the customary pause. Hello
to your salutations and prosaic love. I swoon over your semicolons
and your gerunds form the train pouring delicately over the rest of me,
like the bowls of mist in Greece and like
your question marks, rhetorical and soft
and your periods, so final.

But all your sentences you ended with ellipses like my own
for we could never stand to finish a sentence
and end it. In our verbosity
we were young and beautiful and changed
like a celestial conjugation. I
will never forget you.